11 April 2007

This is Not A Love Song

This song has been haunting me for the past week, and I can't seem to do anything about it.

I haven't been coordinated enough to put it on my ipod, and so every time it seeps into my brain, I haven't had the luxury of listening to it. Instead of making the problem go away, this is making it worse, and by the time I can get to the song, I'm hungry to hear it again.

I saw Kaiser Chiefs at Avalon on Monday night, with the Walkmen. It was one of the better shows I've seen, and even though I've got some sort of plague or the SARS or a black lung, or whatever it is, I still enjoyed the show tremendously. I have been dying to see the Walkmen live for...oh, forever, and they did not dissappoint (except for their six song set. That tiny little number disappointed a bit), and even though I was a little scared that the Kaiser Chiefs show was going to be awkward (the lead singer seemed like a bit of a ham at first, and the crowd was not buying it...for about half a minute, then he riled us all up and it was awesome), it was amazing.

And still.

I cannot get this song out of my head.

It's like this urge that I'll get, and when I get it, I have to have a fix. And when it pops into my head, I always have to pause to figure out which song it is, and it burns inside of me until I do. And my heart sinks when I realize that the only place it lives is on my computer at work, and it will be anotehr several hours before I can listen to it again.

And so I wait. And every time I listen to it, I think, "Well. This song is good, but it's not great. It's catchy, but it not a brilliant musical masterpiece. Why?" But it eats at my soul. It rocks me in all of my hidden places, it finds the darkest corners of my mind and drives me crazy.

This must be what it's like to fall in love.

No comments: