29 November 2006

And I built this balustrade to keep you home, to keep you safe

I don't know how to adequately describe my trip to Minnesota, but I have to start somewhere. I had said in my previous entry that when I left, I was...Very unhappy with my life (maybe I didn't say that. I was very unhappy with my life. There, I said it.)

Fortunately, the night before I left, some things came to a head, and I was able to overcome them, although residual feelings of guilt, sadness, anger, and embarrassment were boarding that plane with me in my carry-on emotional baggage.

By the time I landed in Pittsburgh, I wasn't sure it was the right time to be going on vacation. By the time I got to Chicago, I was distressed that I would be seeing one of my best friends, supposed to be having fun, and was instead feeling like a big sopping wet blanket. By the time I landed in Minneapolis, all of it started to dissipate.

Laura was the best hostess, ever.

I met her [crazy] family -- and her mother's [even MORE crazy] friend(s). I'm glad they didn't tone it down for my sake. Here are some of the things I learned:

Men are like shoes -- and before you get married, you should try on lots and lots of shoes (Laura has already mentioned this, but it came up again). Also, you don't want a pair that does just one thing (you know, like look really cute). You want cross-trainers. I want Really Cute cross trainers.

Also, for some reason, men are like meat. I don't remember that one in it's entirety. Something about stinky meat on driveways versus meat in the fridge...? Anyway...

Thanksgiving was...Spectacular. There was SO MUCH FOOD. I was seriously in a food coma by the end of the evening -- and I didn't even use the big plate. Laura's mom is all kinds of fabulous.

So that was Minnesota, Part I. Don't worry, there's at least a Part II -- it involves less food (but only by a little), and more of Laura's friends.

[Currently Spinning: The Decemberists]

No comments: