10 October 2007

Dashing to the finish line

Last night, I finally finished J's pair of Dashing fingerless mitts. A few months ago, I started making him socks, which any knitter in a "new" relationship will tell you, is a big gamble (he seemed "excited" about my knitting...but how far does the boyfriend sweater curse extend?...and by "excited" I mean teases me mercilessly and continuously about what he refers to as my yarn "problem," and conjecturing that every time he goes out of town, I find ways to hide yarn under the floorboards and in the attic. I would never hide yarn in the attic).

In the end my concerns were moot because he was excited! And then the first sock didn't fit! So, mostly out of frustration and disappointment, I decided to put the socks on the shelf for a bit. As a consolation prize for being such a Rockstar Boyfriend, I decided I would make these fingerless mitts since mine turned out so well (ha!). I ended up tearing his back a few times because they had to be absolutely perfect, but it was worth it in the end. Two perfect fingerless mitts. The first project I've ever taken off the needles without worrying where I would find those hidden mistakes I didn't catch the first time.

Besides, with some manipulation (like J losing five pounds in one of his legs), the first sock may fit - albeit tightly. I made the second sock bigger by six more stitches a round, so that should fix things, right?

Swatch? What's that?

Anyway...Without further ado, here they are!

No comments: