03 January 2007

More Than A Feeling

Sometimes moments pass so quickly, your liable to just forget they happened. For me, these tend to be the moments that might make my day a better one, whereas I'm likely to let the bad moments sear themselves into my brain until my whole day is tainted with the ugliness. I forget that only I am in control of my emotions, and that only I can make myself sad or happy or angry.

Yesterday, I dropped my shoe in the subway. A kind man picked it up and handed it to me, and I felt like a modern day Cinderella for a second. Any other day, any other guy, and I might have been left to fend for myself. Instead, a kind stranger made a kind gesture, which is rare in Boston.

I walk around with my eyes to the ground most days. I can't just tell myself, "That stops today," but I'm going to make an effort not to let Boston affect me like that anymore. There's no reason not to be the kind stranger that might brighten someone else's otherwise normal day.

After all, I'm going to be here for a while. It's time to start making a difference.

No comments: