02 July 2006

Summary of the Weekend

This weekend was a blur, if you hadn't noticed from the last post/lack of updates.

Laura, Teresa, and Jessica were in town -- it was a team awesome reunion! Unfortunately, after two whirlwind days in Boston, Laura, Teresa and Alisa are in Barbados now, so Jess stayed here a little bit longer to keep me company this weekend. Last night we had a double date with Lesley and Steve at Tamarind House, followed by mojitos on the patio at the flat. We also knit a lot, and watched too much TV.

Friday was a flurry of activity. The five of us went to our Indian restaurant and had the lunch buffet, then went shopping on Newbury Street (Alisa bought 3" heels!), and then to see The Devil Wears Prada. I liked it for the same reasons I despised the book, but Teresa hated it for the same reasons I liked it. One of the biggest reasons I was a fan was because in the end, you have a little bit of sympathy for Anna Wintour Miranda, and Andy makes a choice, instead of just bitching about being Miranda's assistant, then quitting, and finally writing awful chick-lit because everyone knows the New Yorker would never actually publish her. I did think it was a little cheesy that her boyfriend takes her back in the end, and also find it a little abhorrent that he was a chef, instead of a super-fantastic philanthropic first grade Bronx teacher, though.

After The Devil Wears Prada, we went to dinner at Christopher's. All night, I swear I was giddy from being around Laura and Teresa for the first time in a year and not drunk (okay, I was also drunk), and things may have gotten a little rowdy at the restaurant, but that's okay because they stuck us between the bathroom and the kitchen, anyway. We ended the evening at the Big Easy, and we all came home together (instead of getting in the bachelor party limo), and then we stayed up until Laura, Alisa, and Teresa had to leave for the airport at four in the morning.

I really miss my friends. After a few rounds of shots, we decided that we would try our hardest to settle near each other in a few years. It looks like Chicago is a fairly viable option, or even LA -- even though I'd be pushing for the Southwest if I thought anyone else would go for it. I've still got grad school ahead of me, and it might have to wait until after then, but it gives me something to look forward to, and I can be pretty flexible with where I end up, so I'm game.

I plan on adding a few things to the previous entry later tonight. Some of it Some of the information in the previous entry is slightly innacurate - only because it implies that I did everything, or was the catalyst of everything. Otherwise, it's a pretty apt description of how I spent my day with my friends. And it's true -- we were called drunks and judged all over town. That equals a successful day in my book.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Pretty early in the morning? I'm six hours ahead here! Which explains why I'm the first to hear about this new DVD you'd probably like.