07 July 2006

Yarn Conundrum

I have many items of knitterly news to report. Yarn news. Project news. And Questions.

First, I have...Well, the best one skein secret pal, ever. She puts me to shame (except I think the package I put together this month is pretty nice, too ;) I got this in the mail today:



Lorna's Laces (!!!), Regia sock yarn, and some stuff from her home: a postcard, a magnet not pictured because it's on my fridge already, and one of those really cool pencils that have the little plastic lead train inside them! Remember those?

Also, even though I've got a lot on my plate (that blasted second pomatomus, the feather and fan stole, and the frostflowers and leaves shawl that I'm probably going to start over -- again), I think I'm ready for my first sweater:

Somewhat Cowl


The Somewhat Cowl over at Knit and Tonic. Now here's the big question weighing on my mind: What yarn should I use? The pattern calls for Blue Sky Alpaca & Silk, from which there are many many colors to choose, and I wouldn't be opposed to working with it. The alternative that I'm thinking about, though, is Knitpicks Ambrosia. There are less colors, but instead of alpaca and silk, it's alpaca and cashmere. It's about the same price (the knitpicks might be a little cheaper, and shipping ends up being free because the order will be over $40, but I'm sure I can find some deals on the blue sky alpaca). I want something purple; I like shades like plum or wine (I'm really into the purple hues these days. And pink, but I have like twelve pink sweaters, already).

Has anyone worked with either one of these yarns? Or, if not, what do you think you would do? There isn't a big color selection over at knitpicks, which is unfortunate, but the cashmere appeals to me a little more than the silk (plus it'll be softer, with less sheen, I think). Thoughts? Opinions? Knitting friends and regular folk, both :) chime in as you see fit.

I'm out now, because there is some TV and a cup of tea waiting for me. And maybe a long walk -- or lots of knitting.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I think there are a few things to consider. It's your first sweater, so things might not go totally smoothly, and you don't want to end up with a big pile of sad-looking yarn that you splurged on. However, this will hopefully be something that you'll want to/like to wear in the end, so quality is definitely something to consider. Knitpicks can be great, and I've never worked with Ambrosia personally, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that the Blue Sky is better quality, and the Alpaca & Silk specifically is just to die for. It's wonderful yarn. And check out this deal: http://www.kpixie.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1730
I don't think you can beat that! I'd go for the Blue Sky, totally. Sorry if this was long-winded!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you like the yarn!

Good luck on your first sweater. I'm still gearing up for that particular challenge myself.

~o.s.s.p.