31 December 2006

Wrapping Up 2006

Wrapping up 2005

1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?

Lost my job due to budget issues. Not that I'm proud of it or anything, but all the other big stuff I'd done before (moving, getting a new job, buying an ipod...). I guess I also temped for the first time. That's a good thing. And I was commissioned to knit things for people! For monies!

Oh -- and went to and then hosted a Passion Party.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions and will you make more for next year?
From last year:
This year I have a few. I want to work out more, eat better, drink more water, and improve my posture. I want to take more pictures and stay more focused at work. Yeah – loads of resolutions.
Well, I did none of those...I did work out more sometimes, but that wasn't consistent. My posture has gotten worse, if that's possible. I probably took more pictures, but I also stopped mid-year. And focus at work? Psh. As if. Yeah. I sucked. At life.

This year, I want to work out more (HA), be a nicer person (at least outwardly), and definitely be more patient (both inside and out). And drink more water.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
I count my blessings -- no one did this year.

5. What countries did you visit?
The Midwest

6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2006?
A healthy relationship with myself <----This was there from last year. I thought it was still apt.

7. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
I can't think of one day in particular. Perhaps Lesley's wedding. Even though that was associated with a flurry of activity in the entire weekend surrounding the wedding.

Maybe December 19th...Or should that be the 17th?

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finding a job that I like -- working with people whose company I genuinely enjoy. And finally being able to accept myself the way I am -- and coming close to being truly happy.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Allowing myself to become depressed when I lost my job.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not really this year. There were lots of paper cuts. Some busted toenails. But no real injuries.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I bought my sister some pants that she's been absolutely coveting all year. It was nice to get my sister something that she wanted that my parents would never in a million years get her -- both because I could afford it and because I wanted to make her happy.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?Anyone at the office who didn't judge me too harshly at one of our parties.

And my sister, for being generally awesome. And for getting into West Point.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Well, it depends on what you mean by appalled. And I was never depressed due to other people's actions. People can't make you feel anything you don't want to feel.

I think if anyone made me feel appalled, it was me, for my own behavior.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Aside from rent and utilities (and my gym membership), I bought a lot of CDs and DVDs this year. And surprisingly less shoes than last year. Okay. That's still a lot of shoes...

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I can't think of any one thing...part of the problem with being mildly depressed for most of the year is that it takes quite a bit to get you excited about anything. And so now I'm starting to get really excited about stuff, but for some reason "my first real date with a boy I actually like a lot" and "OMG, guys, he called me"

16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
Say Goodnight and Go by Imogen Heap

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: happier or sadder?
I suppose that if I'm going to be honest, I'm happier. Last year, even though I still had my grandmother on my mind (in the way that hurts so bad), I was in a relationship I was really excited about. But I was hiding it from people, and other people were mad at me, and I felt like no one really approved (whether or not they did is beside the point). I ended up thinking I was happy, but really feeling like it was all the calm before the storm. And it was. This year I think it's pretty much that I'm mildly happy about life things. I'm pretty happy about the boy situation. And I have a job I like instead of one I'm settling for. I think if anything, it's the calm after last year's storm.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Travel. And relish my happier moments.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

I wish that I had spent less time eating and sitting on my ass feeling sorry for myself.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?

With my family, maybe around the tree, opening presents.

21. How will you be spending New Years?
That's a good question.

22. Did you fall in love in 2006?
I didn't, but I think I'm finally ready to accept love in my life again, should it want to find me.

23. How many one-night stands?
None

24. What was your favorite TV program?
The Office, The Brak Show, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and as always, Futurama.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I try to make it a policy not to hate people. I do dislike some people strongly, but that list is pretty much the same as it was last year.

26. What was the best book you read?
The Time Traveler's Wife, My Sister's Keeper

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Blow, The Raconteurs, and most definitely We Are Scientists.

28. What did you want that you also ended up getting?

Heheheh

29. What did you want that you did not end up getting?
I didn't get an electric guitar or a record player. But I am going to try to snag an acoustic guitar from my parents and steal their record player.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Besides Talladega Nights? You mean other movies came out this year?

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 22 -- it seems like ages ago. We went to the Cactus Club for dinner, then hit up Whiskey's, then went clubbing at the Big Sleazy.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Finding a job more quickly, and with less weight gain.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Indie-tastic.

34. What kept you sane?
Not caring much about the outcome of things.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Steve Carrell

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
None really stir me all that much.

37. Who did you miss?
My grandmother, always. My friends. Laura, Jessica, Teresa, Lisa, Ben...I miss everyone that made college so special.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
:)

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.

To just go for it. It can't hurt more than not going for it. Also, to relax -- and stop freaking the fuck out about everything.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

The scene is dead but I'm still restless
An hour or so till the last call I guess
I shouldn't even be here much less
Drinking myself into excess
I'm not going home till I'm done

--The Scene is Dead - We Are Scientists

OR (more likely):

i have tried
my hopes have blossomed
and my hopes have fried,
i tried to cut them all down
but i found hopes were still living deep inside

--Fists Up! - The Blow

1 comment:

Laura said...

A few notes:
You will never drink more water. You hate water in any form. When intoxicated, you would rather throw bottles of liquid back at your friends than consume them. Best of luck with your resolution.
Number 3 did not specify what was given birth to. I think between the two of us we have birthed at least 15 large cows due to life excitement and kitten huffing. What?
The Midwest is not a country. Paper cuts are real injuries too. You should not discriminate or the paper will get together and plot to show you what a paper cut can really be like.
8lb 6oz tiny baby Jesus and I will laugh about 28 for another week. And your friends (and demi cup) thank you for the weight gain.