21 March 2006

try to be a filter, not a sponge.

I just finished reading the perks of being a wallflower. Several things drew me into this book; first and foremost, its quotability. I think because of the narrative style, it seemed kind of simple and not necessarily quotable at first, but there were so many passages that just made me stop, put the book down, grab a pencil, and scribble the words down on whatever scrap piece of paper was next to me at the time. It got to a point where there were too many -- I may as well have been copying the book down by hand.

I did the thing at the end where I rush through it to get to the last sentence, because I can't help it and I love the book so much and it's just eating me away inside and I NEED to know what happens to the protagonist, but at the same time I'm frantic and panicked because I never want this book to end! (I just bought this book today and started reading on the T on my way home from that interview)

This book made me cry like I have not been able to cry for months. The presiding thought on my mind the past few weeks has been "I was 22-years-old when I forgot how to cry. I just stopped being able to do it." I just want to feel again. This book probably means a lot to me because of that.
Most notably, though, the narrative style, or something about the character reminded me of Matt. It was remarkable (I mean it as a compliment, though!). Matt is not a wallflower, and I can't really explain it. Go read his blog and read the book, and maybe you'll get what I mean. Or maybe you'll just think I'm crazy.

In case there's any interest, I also bought The Devil Wears Prada (like Dunces, I want to be able to see this movie when it comes out! Without feeling "guilty," that is), and the last book I picked up (my absolute CUTOFF) was In Cold Blood. I seriously flirted with getting the Tao of Pooh, as well, but put it down when I saw In Cold Blood. I'm strapped for cash as it is *blushes* but I can't help it, I'm a sucker for books!

I would like to point out, just for the sake of making this post longer and more boring, that I HATED the fact that this book was called, in some reviews, a "modern day Catcher in the Rye." Ugh.
Anyway, go. Read this book. I'll wait here.

2 comments:

dsb said...

So, Ben likes to get a little annoyed (not really, because he's more of a "people have their own thing, and who am I to judge" person than I am) when someone says that Fight Club totally rocked their world and emparted the secret to a clear metaphysical transformation or something.

I mean the movie, though, not the book - and I've heard from everyone that the book is ten times better. I don't necessarily agree with him, but we had this discussion a few times last year - and it became a jokingly heated debate.

I never really like movies of books I truly like, because the message is usually lost somewhere (or completely discarded - if you ever want to hear a rant, bring up Vainty Fair and The Count of Monte Cristo around me). Pride and Prejudice is a rare exception, and I've been trying to analyze Potter movies on movie basis alone, but it's tough.

I'm also very anal about taking care of things :) I don't usually lend books or dvds, &tc. to people I don't like because if a friend scuffs a cover, it's one thing, but if someone I don't really like scuffs a cover, they must suffer the wrath of the ninja. I'm trying to be better about this. But now I know, if anyone wants to read Perks, ask Matt for his copy ;)

Emily said...

You must read "The Time Traveler's Wife." I have a copy and THAT book made me cry.

So did "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult.

I have some good ones :) And yes, I've read Perks but it hasn't been for a long long time. And I think I liked it when I read it, but I can't remember.

We still on for knitting tomorrow? 6ish? I have a meeting at 9 boooooooo but 6 will work :)