11 September 2006

Remember

Sometimes I feel so awkward and foot-in-my-mouth-y, like today. Should I be blogging about my stupid feelings when today is September 11th? But really, I have strong mixed feelings about this. Because how should today be unlike any other day? Why should I REMEMBER today, and Forget every other day? On the other hand I can understand why anniversaries are important, and why we're probably more vulnerable to an attack on this date than on any old day, and that the fact that it is an anniversary re-opens the wounds. It's a milestone, even if it is a terrible and sad one. Though we should never forget. We should be grateful for every. single. day. we have with our loved ones.

So give someone a hug today. Thank a firefighter. Smile at a stranger.

In the past year, I've discovered two wonderful novels that explore the tragedy that happened five years ago today, and I would recommend them to anyone who wants to REMEMBER. Pick up Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, or, for a more real-time, real-life portrayal, pick up The 9/11 Report, a graphic adaptation by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon. The graphic novel format makes it easier (or more difficult, depending on your point of view) to digest.

No comments: