25 April 2006

Who had $5 on the Trellis Scarf?

I finished the trellis scarf on Sunday. I had every intention of blocking it after work last night, but when I got home after midnight, I decided that it was more important to sleep than block a scarf (since the blocking gets done on my futon, and as much as I love lying in bed next to tens of dozens of blocking pins, I thought it best not to tempt fate).

I didn't write about finishing the scarf, but thought I would chronicle it, since it was kind of funny. It happened kind of like this:
me: I CAN'T STAND THIS SCARF ANYMORE!!!
jess: I'm starting a paper right now, sorry - can we chat later?
me: Oh - sorry!
*glares angrily at scarf with eye daggers and fire-breath for a few seconds because you! brought this on me by being so soft and pink and cotton candy like, but ceased to grow at any visible rate about five repeats prior* then:
me: So, I have a problem. I seem to only have enough yarn for one more repeat in this lace, but I still have two more repeats to go...
(lies, all lies - plenty of yarn was left. Oodles. I probably could have done three more repeats - four if I had wanted to live on the edge)
laura: well...
me: I mean, two inches shorter isn't a lot in the scheme of things, is it? Should I start the end border?
(two inches pre-blocking, that is, but I was trying to convince myself that I could end this dang-blasted thing once and for all, and I was starting to get desperate because of Laura's nanosecond of silence, trying to convince her myself that I should just end the scarf since I was getting no more enjoyment from it as a project)
laura: I think you can start the ending border.
me: sweet! That's all I needed to hear.

And so I finished the scarf...maybe a little earlier than planned. However, I'm not sad that I cast off early, and the second the ends were sewn in, I had to wear it. Now. This instant. I was going to be a good girl and wait until it was blocked, but, well, last night happened. So today, I donned it like an ascot. A wonky, several inches shorter than it should be, purl-side-all-a-mess asccot, with two ends that don't resemble each other in the slightest (the cast off edge didn't taper, for some reason). Pictures to follow - eventually - because I couldn't find my camera this morning.

No comments: