10 June 2006

I Already Knew I Was "Mexican"

I was browsing myspace and blogthings and I found one of those inane "You know you're from El Paso When..." thingies. I laughed a little, and missed home for a bit, and then scrolled down, and saw a "You know you're Mexican when..." I thought that one was also funny, even though I'm not. Mexican, I mean. But since that's the culture I identify with most, and what sets me apart up north, I thought I'd share the ones that really warmed my heart:

You Know You're Mexican When...
  • You have ever been hit by a chancla. (also, when mom was on the phone, she'd throw things at us to get our attention to tell us to be quiet or turn down the TV. Sometimes, being swung at with a wooden spoon also shaped us up).
  • You grew up scared by something called "El Cucuy" (or instead of saying "the devil stepped on my grave," like one side of my family, I grew up saying "Ay, cucuy..." and shuddering whenever I got that passing chill, or "Uy, cucuy," when trying to be "spooky").
  • You light a candle on the night of the Lotto drawing (or for a hundred thousand other things).
  • You use your nose and/or lips to point something out (also, using wild gesticuation when I talk).
  • You can dance ranchera, cumbia or salsa without music.
  • You call your sneakers "tenees."
  • Tamales, champurrado, posole and menudo are must haves at Christmastime. (Seriously, it's not wintertime until someone's made the champurrado)
  • There is more Budweiser than punch at little Juanito's birthday party. (Coors or Tecate, but you get the point)
  • You have told someone not to walk the floor barefoot or they'll catch a cold. (I still believe this, even though I KNOW it's not true)
  • You need to point out how much something you just bought cost.
  • You've tried to bring a mango back to the US from Mexico, and a bonus point if you actually made it all the way home with it (my grandmother gets like, a bajillion bonus points).

No comments: