20 June 2006

Surprise! Cable and Rib Socks!

So, you know how I was insanely frustrated with those dangblasted pomatomus socks, and so I started something simpler? I did, and this is the result:


Rib and Cable socks from the Fall 2005 Issue of Interweave Knits, knit in Jaeger Matchmaker in a color called "cloud."

As usual, I have some complaints. The yarn was thin, like the knitpicks essential yarn. I had some holes in the socks. Some were from the pattern (YOs when you turn the heel), but some were where I rejoined the gussets, where I always get holes no matter how tightly I knit. I know that part of it is me, but since this yarn claims it should be knit on size 2 or 3 needles, I feel like it should be knit on size 1 needles with my tension. I can learn to adapt, but I'd rather just use slightly more substantial yarn, I suppose. Or smaller needles with an adapted pattern.

Also, even though maybe they're the same height as in the pattern, they're probably a little shorter. I added an extra cable, but decreased the cuff by ten rows, so it should have nearly evened out. However, even if I'd added one more cable (an extra cable by the pattern standards, taking into consideration the lost rows of cuff), I think they would have barely been the same height as the socks in the magazine.

Stumpy socks disappoint me.

Now Watching: Pepper Dennis (and will never make that mistake again)

No comments: