26 June 2006

I think I know the answer. I just don't want to face it yet.

I dropped a few stitches in the shawl. I have no idea how this happened. Part of me wants to cry, wants to throw a fit, wants to give up. This is a very small part of me, maybe 10%.

A bigger part of me, I'd say 40%, wants to keep going. Pick up the offending stitch like I did the other two (oy vey), and just keep on trucking. I'm on row 37 already.

The remaining 50% wants to start over. From the painful, stupid beginning, with the 5 dpn, the circular cast on, the wanting to cry, and wanting this to just. be. over. Doing a circular cast on is on my list just above poking my eye with a flaming, blunt poker. I ended up just getting to a point where I knew that the needles wouldn't tangle and that took all of my sanity for the evening when I cast on.

This is why, even though the larger part of me knows I've invested a lot of money in this shawl, and it should be perfect by my standards (I can let a few mistakes slide), I also realize I've invested a lot of time in the mess I already have (that isn't so bad, but it's also not blocked. And it's the center. Not some piece in the overall pattern. Unfortunately).

So do I rip it out? Or do I keep going and hope that I won't be really sad when I'm several hundred rows into this shawl instead of a measly 35?

**Edited To Add**

No comments: